Legal Officer Job at Turkana University College
Turkana University College (TUC) was inaugurated on 27th January 2017 as a constituent college of Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology. This is Kenya’s first Public University to be established in the vast resource – rich area of north western Kenya.
Legal Officer Job Responsibilities
Provide corporate governance advisory and practical support to the council, its members and the college for the effective discharge of their duties and responsibilities.
- Provide guidance and practical timely support to ensure effective and efficient Board and committee meetings/processes by facilitating proper constitution, clear terms of reference, well-articulated agenda and minutes, including following up of actions points.
- Ensure compliance with the applicable laws, regulations and codes of ethics.
- Ensure statutory compliance through regular monitoring and implementation of legal, regulatory and policy requirements.
- Representing the University College in all types of suits
- Offer legal advice to the University College
- Draft, update and review contracts and other legal documentation
- Filing of statutory returns, council records, and college assets registers
- Conduct Training needs assessment for the council members and implement appropriate interventions to meet statutory and regulatory requirements
- Organize for effective Council and Committee evaluations.
Qualifications for the Legal Officer Job
- Masters of Laws/Legal Studies Degree from a recognized University with six (6) years relevant experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law (LLB) and Postgraduate Diploma in Law with nine years relevant working experience.
- Admission as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and Commissioner for Oath.
- Be a registered member of Law Society of Kenya.
- Have a current practicing certificate.
- Certified Public Secretary (CPS)
- Member of the Institute of Certified Public Secretary of Kenya in good standing
- ICT Competent.
Appointment to the positions will be on permanent and pensionable terms subject to successful completion of probation.
Benefits include: a contributory pension scheme or payment of gratuity for those on contract terms, non-contributory medical scheme, generous housing allowance and paid leave among others.
How to Apply
Applicants should send ten (10) hard copies of their application to the undersigned clearly indicating the advert reference number of the position of interest on the envelope, In addition, send an email clearly quoting the advert reference number on the subject line. An updated curriculum vitae and cover letter only, on a running PDF format as one attachment should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org to reach us not later than 6 December 2018.
Applicants are advised to request their referees to write letters of reference directly to the address below to be received by the deadline. Those wishing to apply may submit their application to the office of the Deputy Principal (Academic & Student Affairs) personally or post to the address below to reach him not later than 6 December 2018.
NB: Applicants should be registered with relevant professional bodies where applicable.
Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
2: Those who had applied earlier should not reapply.
Full details of qualifications, experience and duties & responsibilities can be found on our website; www.tuc.ac.ke
TUC does not levy any fees in the process of recruitment & selection of applicants.
Deputy Principal (Academic & Student Affairs)
Turkana University College
P.O. Box 69 – 30500