Assistant Librarian Job at Turkana University College
Turkana University College (TUC) was inaugurated on 27th January 2017 as a constituent college of Masinde Muliro University of Science and Technology. This is Kenya’s first Public University to be established in the vast resource – rich area of north western Kenya.
Reporting to the Deputy Principal (Academics and Students Affairs), the Assistant University Librarian shall overall be responsible for the supervision and management of all administrative and operational functions of the University College Library.
Assistant Librarian Job Responsibilities
- Be the custodian of academic resources of the University College;
- Regularly review academic resources and submit a report;
- Make proposals for development of library policies;
- Implement Library policy;
- Coordinate all the Library services in the University College;
- Prepare and submit proposals for acquisition of library materials;
- Acquire and conserve library research materials;
- Be responsible for the organization and operation of library services;
- Adoption and adherence to library standards;
- Manage the provision of conducive reading space for library users;
- Establish and facilitate the use of the e-Library;
- Facilitate the networking and exchange of materials of with other libraries locally and internationally;
- Make proposals for acquisition and conservation of library research materials;
- Promote provision of library support services;
- Undertaking such other official assignments as may be assigned from time to time by the University College
- Principal or his/her authorized office
Qualifications for the Assistant Librarian Job
- For appointment to this grade, one must have:-
- A Master’s Degree in Information Studies with 6 years working experience 3 of which as Assistant Librarian Scale 11 or its equivalent
- Bachelor’s Degree with 12 years working experience 3 of which as Assistant Librarian Scale 11 or its equivalent.
- Registered with relevant professional body.
- ICT Competence.
Appointment to the positions will be on permanent and pensionable terms subject to successful completion of probation.
Benefits include: a contributory pension scheme or payment of gratuity for those on contract terms, non-contributory medical scheme, generous housing allowance and paid leave among others.
How to Apply
Applicants should send ten (10) hard copies of their application to the undersigned clearly indicating the advert reference number of the position of interest on the envelope, In addition, send an email clearly quoting the advert reference number on the subject line. An updated curriculum vitae and cover letter only, on a running PDF format as one attachment should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org to reach us not later than 6 December 2018.
Applicants are advised to request their referees to write letters of reference directly to the address below to be received by the deadline. Those wishing to apply may submit their application to the office of the Deputy Principal (Academic & Student Affairs) personally or post to the address below to reach him not later than 6 December 2018.
NB: Applicants should be registered with relevant professional bodies where applicable.
Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged.
2: Those who had applied earlier should not reapply.
Full details of qualifications, experience and duties & responsibilities can be found on our website; www.tuc.ac.ke
TUC does not levy any fees in the process of recruitment & selection of applicants.
Deputy Principal (Academic & Student Affairs)
Turkana University College
P.O. Box 69 – 30500