Finance Officer Job at Terre des hommes (Tdh)
Job title: Finance Officer
Reports to (Hierarchically): Support Services Coordinator
Number of subordinates: 0
Position Grade: E
Working time in % : 100%
Starting date: 15th February 2019
Length: 6 Months
Context: Terre des hommes (Tdh) launched its activities in Kenya in January 2011. Tdh provides support to children in Dadaab refugee camp and in Korogocho slums. Tdh also implements WASH, Child Protection, health and nutrition projects in Garissa County.
General description of the position: With the support and under the supervision of the Senior Finance officer, responsible for financial administration, book keeping, budget controls and donor reports for Tdh intervention in Kenya under the direction of Senior Finance officer in collaboration with the Project Managers with guidance from Tdh HQ Financial Controller.
He or she will conduct his or her duties in respect of the Charter of Terre des hommes and the Tdh Child Safeguarding Policy.
Specific Job Description:
Responsibility: Accountancy and Financial Management
Aim: To ensure proper financial management of all project
- Daily update of the accountancy according to the project activities needs.
- Manage the cash box of the office, under the supervision of the Senior Finance officer. The Senior Finance officer have the right to verify randomly the cashbox balance.
- Double check of records, according to Tdh and donors’ procedures.
- Verify that all the receipts/invoices are correctly filled and are eligible for Tdh accountancy (indicating: date, details of the supplier, clearly written the amount with the stamp PAID).
- Archive all the relevant administrative and accountancy documentation in the proper according to Tdh procedures.
- Fill properly the monthly reconciliation form for each cash and bank, to be signed for approval by the Senior Finance officer.
- Collaborate in the preparation of documents for financial/annual audits.
Responsibility: Budget and Financial management
- Ensure implementation of Tdh and donors’ finance rules.
- Assist Senior Finance officer to ensure monthly budget follow ups for Garissa, Dadaab and Korogocho offices in close collaboration with the Project Managers.
- Participate in grants management and follow up meetings.
- Facilitate all financial aspects of audits (statutory local, donor, ad hoc, etc.).
Responsibility: Treasury management
- Cash withdrawal from Tdh bank account as an agent.
- Monitor Nairobi office bank accounts.
- Consolidate the monthly cash requests and coordinate with the Project Managers on the quarterly forecasts.
- Assist Senior Finance officer in the preparation of monthly/ quarterly donor reports.
- Support in the preparation of monthly situation report and admin pack.
- Provide weekly finance report to the Senior Finance officer.
- Ensure and facilitate the communication and information sharing within the team and the department, and contribute to the team responsibilities.
Work in close collaboration with other departments.
Abuse Prevention Policy – Operational Risk Management
- Commit to respect Tdh Risk Management Policies including: Child Safeguarding Policy, Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Code of Conduct, Whistle Blowing Policy
- Commit to ensure the best implementation possible of the Tdh Risk Management Policies
- Commit to inform supervisors and to deal with any cases, allegations, or possibility of transgression, even potential, of the Tdh Risk Management Policies.
- University Degree in Accounting and Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Thorough understanding of Procurement and Logistics policies, rules and regulations;
- Strong knowledge of computer applications, especially MS Word and Excel. Knowledge of SAGA is an added advantage
- Professional experience in a busy administrative and finance office/environment (Emergency response);
- Previous experience with UN , International Agencies, or NGO’s an advantage;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain integrity in performing responsibilities assigned;
- Mature individual, able to work independently, under pressure, able to maintain accuracy, paying attention to details, meeting deadlines and working with minimal supervision;
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills with proven ability to work effectively and harmoniously with a team of colleagues.
- Fluent in English and Swahili
Only candidates that fit the requirements above are invited to submit a covering letter, CV, references, and copies of academic and professional certificates (if requirements are not met or application is incomplete, the application will not be considered).
The Application should be emailed email@example.com.
Kindly indicate the position on the subject line of the e-mail – only applications which will have complied with this request will be shortlisted.
Kindly note only applications sent to this email address will be considered.
Closing date for the application of this position is 11th February, 2019
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a written test and oral interview
Tdh’s recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protect children’s rights, which includes the prevention of all forms of child abuse.
Tdh is an equal opportunity employer.