Project Officer Job at Forum Syd
Duty Station: Nairobi, Hub Eastern and Southern Africa
Duration of Assignment: Duration of Assignment is 6 months fixed
About PPDP and purpose of the position: Akiira Geothermal Ltd and the Swedish Embassy in Nairobi have entered into an agreement to use part of its revenues from the company to support community engagement, skills development and job creation in the immediate communities’ surrounding the geothermal plant in response to the challenges experienced in the region – in addition to in-kind contributions.
The Swedish embassy has entered into a Public Private Development Partnership (PPDP) with the International Labour Organization (ILO) as the coordinator of this partnership. On the other hand, the ILO will be entering into an agreement with Forum Syd, a Swedish Non-Governmental Organization with experience working with communities in and around Naivasha, for implementation of one of the expected outcomes.
Overall, the PPDP will aim at improving the living conditions in and around the project areas, i.e. Narok and Nakuru counties, by acting as a catalyst to boost decent job creation through business development, skills development and community engagement.
The Project Officer will support the PPDP Project by facilitating all community mobilization activities, coordination and liaison of the ultimate beneficiaries who are youth, women and vulnerable maasai community members in the Suswa and Raplands communities who have been identified by Akiira geothermal Ltd in Suswa and Rapland.
He/She will be the co-ordinator and liaison person between the field team, community and partners and assist all in data collection from the field.
He/She will work with other team members in continuous needs assessment, related data collection and managing surveys process at the community levels among other roles as indicated below:
Responsibilities for the Project Officer Job
- In liaison with the Programme Manager, plan for the PPDP project activities and following up on their implementation.
- Keep close coordination and liaison with community mobilizers, communities and partners and assist all in data collection from the field
- Conduct project monitoring and tracking of key activities as per the work plan
- Prepare appropriate periodic progress reports on community activities
- Support selection and training of Trainers of Trainees (ToT) for the Rights Way Forward (RWF)
- Assist the project team in the conduct of training to local work teams/groups for RWF and any other relevant training
- Support the needs assessment and related data collection relevant for the PPDP project
- Take lead in conducting of community forums and workshops in the project targeted
- Provide support for the strengthening of community Groups (Youth Group & Women Groups) to undertake their own development initiatives with special emphasis on women;
- Assist communities in preparation of Community Action Plans and proposals for approval by project authorities and County Administrators
- Help build linkages with the community, local institutions/administration and other stakeholders relevant to the project
- Document and share lessons learnt, achievements and successes from the field.
Project Officer Job Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences or development studies
- Diploma in Project Management and/or Monitoring and Evaluation
- At least two years’ experience working in community empowerment/development initiatives
- Past experience in project management
- Experience in working with participatory community approaches
- Experience and ability to work effectively with diverse stakeholder groups, that is the community, private sector, government and institution
- Excellent organizational skills including time management and ability to coordinate multiple tasks
- Demonstrated ability to handle pressure and within deadlines
- Excellent communication skills in English and Kiswahili
- Facilitation, presentation and strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent Influencing and networking skills.
- Ability to work with local and international teams
CLICK HERE >>> TO ORDER YOUR PROFESSIONAL CV & APPLY FOR THIS JOB NOW!
How to Apply
Forum Syd is working for equal opportunities for all.
We encourage qualified applicants regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation, functional ability or ethnic and religious affiliation to apply for the position.
Candidates should submit an application consisting of CV (max 2 pages) and cover letter (max 1 page) including summary of your key qualifications and relevant work experience to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject heading “Project Officer” on or before 5th September 2018.
Only Shortlisted Candidates will be contacted.