Driver Job at Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We help people overcome poverty and conflict. Working with communities, we leverage local logic to help people transform their lives. To grow more food, earn higher incomes and ultimately advocate for their needs.
We see global challenges as an invitation to pioneer innovative, sustainable solutions.
We are looking for committed and dynamic individual to take up the following position:
Location: Garissa County
Program / Department Summary: The Operations Department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in the operations functions. The overriding objective for all administration and logistics operations is the prompt and effective provision of support services to Mercy Corps’ beneficiary populations in compliance with donor rules.
General Position Summary: The driver work within the Operations department of the logistics support structure to provide safe, transport services for Mercy Corps program and support staff in the respective field location. The driver will adhere to all traffic and Mercy Corps safety rules and follow the transport guidelines required by the Mercy Corps operations department.
Roles for the Driver Job
- Operate Mercy Corps vehicles as assigned by supervisor.
- Maintain vehicle log-sheets in accordance with Mercy Corps policies/regulations.
- Check the vehicle conditions after each trip/routinely – report needs and problems to logistics team.
- Adhere to all safety and communication protocols as advised by Mercy Corps and supervisor.
- Responsible for the safekeeping of all vehicle equipment, tools, first aid kits, spares etc.
- Keep the vehicle ready, clean and on standby – ready for use at all times.
- Assist, as required, with logistics in the office daily workloads.
- Cooperate and be of assistance to staff and visitors – assist in troubleshooting potential problems during daily business.
- Report all maintenance needs of the vehicle to transport management on a regular basis;
- Undertake field assignments as assigned.
- Responsible for preparing and submitting monthly vehicle fuel and maintenance reports to the Logistics focal point.
- Adherence to all Mercy Corps policies and procedures as outlined in Mercy Corps policies and procedure manuals.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation.
- Other duties as assigned.
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility: None
Reports Directly To: County Project Coordinator
Works Directly With: Program and Operations staff team across the field offices as required
Driver Job Qualifications
- Valid driver’s license and certificate of good conduct.
- At least 3 years driving experience with an NGO.
- Experience operating 4×4 vehicles.
- Experience working in and thorough knowledge of Garissa County is a desired.
- Knowledge of routes, project areas, the NGO and diplomatic community is required.
- Good understanding of English and fluency in the local language is required.
- Respect and adherence to all safety and traffic rules.
- Excellent sense of judgment.
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a cover letter and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor) to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Thursday 4th October, 2018.
Applications without an appropriate subject heading will be automatically disqualified.
Please do not attach any certificates.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NB: We do not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process