Biotechnologist Job at Kisii County
The Kisii County Government wishes to recruit competent and qualified persons to fill the following vacant positions pursuant to Article 235 of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010 and Section 63 of the County Government Act, 2012.
BIOTECHNOLOGIST, JOB GROUP ‘J/K’ (2 POSTS)
Biotechnologist should possess advanced skills and experience on laboratory bench work procedures to discharge the following. The Officer at this level will work under Director Fisheries.
Biotechnologist Job Responsibilities
- Perform molecular characterization diagnosis performing polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for various pathogens, including: viral, bacteria, protozoa, parasitic and other infectious agents;
- Perform serology, including Enzymes linked immunosobent assays (ELISA);
- Perform drug resistance testing for various pathogens;
- Perform cell culture in eukaryotic cells;
- Learning and undertaking advanced molecular biological techniques including real time PCR and DNA sequencing;
- Laboratory management including specimen logging, procurement, equipment management and inventory management;
- Choose the best method to insert foreign DNA into an organism, which can trigger development of new proteins or create an organism with more desirable characteristics.
- Participate in development of standard operating protocols and reviewing of the same;
- Implementation of laboratory audit system based on ISO15189 standard;
- Establish and maintain systems for implementation of laboratory activities: planning introduction of new diagnostic procedures, monitoring and evaluation;
- Track Laboratory quality indicators i.e management and compile reports for intervention and experiment designs; and
- Train, Supervise, and mentor laboratory personnel on molecular techniques.
- Any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Requirements for the Biotechnologist Job
- Be a Kenyan Citizen.
- A Bachelor’s degree in biotechnology or a related field from a recognized university.
- A master in the relevant field will be added advantage.
- At least three years’ laboratory experience with laboratory information systems, laboratory quality management system ISO15189 and competency with various relevant computer programs.
- Must have a clear knowledge of molecular testing, biosafety, and biosecurity training and waste management.
- Be knowledgeable in culture, ELISA/serology, DNA sequencing and sequence analysis.
- Have strong critical-thinking skills, problem-solving skills, communication skills, and technical & observation skills.
- Be able to work independently, learn new techniques & concepts.
- Be able to collect specimens, analyze data, prepare reports, maintain equipment and follow regulatory policies and procedures.
APPLICANTS FOR THE ABOVE POSITIONS ARE REQUIRED TO GET (VALID i.e. YEAR 2018) CLEARANCE FROM THE UNDERLISTED ORGANIZATIONS TO MEET REQUIREMENTS OF CHAPTER SIX OF THE CONSTITUTION OF KENYA 2010.
- Kenya Revenue Authority.
- Higher Education Loans Board.
- Criminal Investigation Department.
- Credit Reference Bureau.
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission.
Copies of these clearances MUST be attached to the applications.
Women and People living with disability are encouraged to apply and should clearly indicate the type of disability.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
How To Apply
All applications should be accompanied by a copy of National ID Card, a detailed CV and copies of all relevant certificates and testimonials, to reach on or before 16th August, 2018 at 5.00p.m. and addressed to:-
Kisii County Public Service Board –Mwalimu Hotel,
P.O Box 1848 – 40200 –Kisii, Kenya.
Hand delivered applications should be handed over at the County Public Service Board’s offices situated at Gusii Mwalimu Hotel, 1st Floor.
KISII COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER