Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Position: Data Field Manager – Field Office Kenya
Reporting To: Senior Data Associate
Start Date: 1st April, 2020
Location: Nairobi / Busia
Duration: 1 Year
Deadline to Apply: 1st March, 2020
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is an international non-profit research organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
IPA works in partnership with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations in the fields of health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture. We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the Data Department: The Data Department supports IPA Kenya projects to collect process and manage their survey data. The Data Department does this directly by programming computer assisted interviews (CAI), preparing data quality checks in IPA’s Data Management System (DMS) and cleaning data.
It also works indirectly by assisting and training project staff to complete these tasks themselves.
At all times, the Data Department adheres to high standards of data security and management to ensure the proper handling of sensitive respondent information.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Developing data collection instruments for computer-aided interviews (CAI) using Survey CTO for surveys to be conducted in the field or over the phone
- Develop CAI code repositories for standard questionnaire sections
- With the rest of the project management teams, train teams on electronic survey implementation observing the SurveyCTO best practices.
Data Quality Assurance and Auditing
- Design Stata auditing tools including .do files for high frequency checks, spot-checks and back checks.
- Developing data quality assurance tools including back checks, high frequency checks, and spot checks.
- Develop and set up projects on the use of IPA’s Data Management System (DMS), automating the projects’ data flow.
Data Protection and Security
- Ensure all projects and staff comply with all policies and procedures related to data protection.
- Control physical access to paper surveys, computers and any other sensitive materials.
- Ensure appropriate computer security on devices handling data using password protection and encryption.
Data Management, Processing and Storage
- Design smooth, functioning and timely data flow between various project activities according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Use STATA to process and clean data, prepare summary statistics, and assist in preliminary analysis
- Ensure proper storage of all paper surveys in a secure, well-organized, and well-documented repository.
- Prepare daily checklists in Stata for field team and ensuring that all the tracking tools tally with the data
- Ensure proper storage of all computer data including regular backups.
Policy and Documentation
- For all areas of responsibility, contribute to the development of policies, manuals and other documentation.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in statistics, economics, computer science or related fields.
- Prior work experience (2 years or more) doing survey programming and data management.
- STATA experience and SurveyCTO (ODK) programming required
- Experience, designing survey forms and implementing data flow process and quality checks required
- Ability to manage and clean complex datasets, using STATA.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage data flow processes and data collection at various levels
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and team player.
- Personal interest and self-driven to develop/strengthen data skills
- Strong communication skills with fluency in English and Swahili.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Data Field Manager. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant.