There is nothing as demoralizing as sending a CV only to never hear back from the employer.
If you have been looking for a job for a while now, I am sure that this is something you can attest to.
It’s frustrating and at some point you start wondering what you are doing wrong.
So here is the brutal truth; recruiters receive on average 200 applications for a single job advert.
Based on this, it’s important that your CV is up to par, because if you are not selling yourself best believe the other candidate is.
Remember that the recruiter does not know you. They have no idea if you have what it takes to do the job.
All they have to go with is what you have indicated on your CV.
Keeping that in mind, here is how your CV should look like to give you that competitive edge you need to stand out and get a job;
Sample CV You Can Use To Sell Your Skills
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor of Commerce (Finance & Accounting Option) – Kenyatta University; 2016; Second Class Upper Division (Honors)
- Diploma in Finance – Vision Plus Institute; 2012
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education – Kenya High School; 2007-2010
Registered member of Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK)
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
- Proficient with word processing, excel spreadsheets, accountancy packages and power point Ability to compile, verify, analyze, interpret and disseminate critical financial data
- Ability to work well with Computerized Accounting, QuickBooks, Sage And Pastel, Ms-Word, Ms-Excel, Ms-Power Point, Ms-Access, the Internet
- Ability to file taxes and statutory; NHIF, NSSF.
- Conversant with withholding of tax principles.
ABC Institute, 2016 to Date
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Petty cash managements-reimbursements to staff for office expenditure, paying casual staff
- Posting of expenses on to the financial system
- Filling NSSF, NHIF returns
- Payment of suppliers
Company XYZ January to July 2012
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assisted in establishing and maintaining cash controls, recruited new clients
- Maintained revenue and expenditure reports, maintained efficient filling systems
- Received and issued cash, established, maintained and reconciled the general ledger
- Monitored cash reserves, prepared and reconciled bank statements
- Issued cheques for all accounts due, assisted in preparing income statements
- Assisted in preparing balance sheets
Please feel free to contact the under mentioned in regard to my competence, work ethic and performance.
Some Mistakes You Should Avoid When Writing A CV
1. Unnecessary information under personal details
I have seen so many candidates use up to five lines just for their contact information.
Save the space by just using one line to state your name, telephone number, and email address or let them be at the top.
No one is interested in your marital status or religion or even health status as I saw on one particular CV.
2. A lot of much jargon
CV jargon such as “team player” and excellent communicator” among others are expected in today’s job market.
However, a job seeker who is genuine about being a good problem solver or good at working in teams will communicate that creatively in a few words and by use of imagery.
3. Inconsistent Fonts
In the world of CV’s, writing with inconsistent fonts makes your CV appear dirty, unappealing and distracting.
If your preferred font style is Times New Romans, use it until the end. Make your CV very clean and presentable, because you want to make a good first impression when the employer looks at your CV.
Most importantly, your CV is a representation of who you are. Let it represent you in the best way.
With this in mind
You only have one shot of creating a lasting impression. When applying for a job, the employer has no idea if you can do the job or not. They don’t know about your personality or whether or not you can fit into the culture and deliver the results they want. What they have to go by is that CV, which is why you should be selling yourself as much as you can in it because best believe it, the next candidate is doing exactly that.
If you are struggling to write a CV that meets the standards of the current job market, contact us here for professional CV writing services.