Developer Job at Open Institute
Job Title: Developer
Job Description: Open Institute is looking to hire a Developer who is passionate about writing great code to join our nascent talented team on a full-time basis. Reporting to the Head of Technology, the ideal candidate will be part of our development team and have at least 3 years of industry experience.
Your role will be to d esign and develop software applications (apps), with a strong focus on applications for mobile phones, Smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices.
We are a friendly and agile organization where strong communications skills are essential, including the ability to explain your ideas and provide feedback frequently. You should be able to participate in an open, creative, innovative company culture
- Creatively architect, design, develop and deliver complete front-end, independent and/or database linked mobile apps in an agile environment, to meet the goals and requirements of various projects with minimal bugs.
- Manage the full software development life cycle including testing, implementation, and auditing.
- Perform product design, bug verification, and beta support, which may require research and analysis, in collaboration with other team members (including data analysts and UI/UX designers).
- Cooperate with back-end developers in the process of building RESTful API’s.
- Participate in weekly scrum meetings, technical design review sessions and specification review (functional and technical) sessions.
- Contribute to the scalability of existing platforms by making sure that code can run smoothly on multiple devices.
- Improve the overall performance of existing apps by finding bottlenecks, recommending enhancements, conducting maintenance and fixing bugs
- Implement new features on existing apps (backend and frontend)
- Produce high-quality, commented and documented code that will easily be maintainable
- Work under minimal supervision with wide latitude for independent judgment.
- A Bachelor of Science Degree or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with Android Application Development Environments (at least 2+ years of experience)
- Experience working with remote data via REST and JSON, third party libraries and APIs
- Experience developing native Android platforms: Android SDK, Android Visual studio, and Proguard
- Experience in Android application development from scratch
- Proficiency with MySQL database
- Ability to create self-contained, reusable, and testable modules and components
- Good working knowledge of Web Services (REST) communication
- Good capabilities in managing UX/UI issues
- Experience in Unit Testing and Version Control
The Open Institute was established in 2012 to promote Open Government in Kenya and globally as well as to experiment and develop ways to promote citizen engagement and participation.
The Open Institute is registered in Kenya as a Trust that is dedicated to collaborating with governments and civil society organisations in the Open Government and Open Data space.
Our Vision – “ an open society, managed by informed, fact-driven citizens. ”
Our Mission – is to collaborate with governments, citizens, civil society organisations and other players to develop policies, tools and knowledge that strengthen citizens’ voices in the governance and development in their societies.
Application Deadline: 5th February 2019
To apply for this job, go to the link below